TRENT to DERBY
Developing Derby Station and surrounding area
With the infrastructure more or less in place we now turn to the challenge of Derby Station and surrounding area. Our theme throughout the project has been to duplicate an authentic and accurate vista of how the area looked in the 1960's. The O/S map opposite shows the residential triangle facing onto Railway Terrace and Derby Midland Station around that time and we will concentrate on this triangle first.
Railway Terrace Cottages
In order to accommodate the more senior railway staff the architects designed and built a triangular block of streets called North St (now Calvert St), Midland Place and Railway Terrace. The initial letter from the three streets result in NMR which stands for North Midland Railway. The two smaller Square's of Sheffield and Leeds Place continue the railway theme named after the cities on the line. This was the first development of its kind in the country and when in 1970 it was decided to demolish it there was strong opposition to the plan. The Derby Historic Buildings Trust stepped in and saved the triangle. It remains to this day.
Brunswick, Railway Terrace
This picture (left) was taken in 1983 when the railway cottages and Brunswick Inn, built for the use of Railwaymen and second class passengers were in a very poor state of repair. Opened in 1842 it was originally called 'The Brunswick Railway and Commercial Inn' and remained in the ownership of the railways for 105 years. After a long period of inactivity it was rescued from the threat of demolition with the cottages above. It re-opened in 1987 and purchased by Trevor Harris who established a brewery on the premises. Since then the pub has won several awards for its beers.
Derby Railway Institute, Railway Terrace
Ten years after the railway arrived in Derby, the Railway Institute was founded as a reading room for Midland Railway Employees. It was an impressive red bricked building with its name spelt out with terracotta bricks facing Railway Terrace. It was opened in Feb 1894 as a cultural centre for Railway workers. At one time it contained a library of some 18000 books, a concert hall with a stage and sitting for 500 people. In addition there were several other rooms set on one side for dining, meetings and games. In 1980 the Railway Institute had been leased off to the Post Office Social Club but that closed in 1994. Following the failure of plans to convert it to an arts centre, it was opened as a pub in 1996 called the Waterfall.
More to follow later as the area gets developed